--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, Mel <gunnar19632...@...> wrote:

> --- On Sat, 8/1/11, Anthony Wu <wu...@...> wrote:
>
> MEL: I'll throw the question back at you and others....what is real exactly
> when all change moment by moment?
>
> Anthony: I am carrying a shield that makes the question bounce back to you
> again.
>
> MEL: How can you hold onto what's real when each moment goes by? With each
> moment passing by comes age. The snake that had shed it's skin is not the
> same snake that was before, nor the pyramids and Sphinx of Giza the same as
> they were those many centuries ago
>
> Shield?

  Hi Mel, Anthony and Whomever It May Concern. Who exactly is this moment going
by? When you recall what you regard as being the previous moment in the series,
is it not right here, right now as a memory? And when you anticipate a future
moment in the series, is it not right here, right now as an anticipation? Who
or what is it that you think is changing? Is not this notion based upon the
unfounded assumption that you are a subject experiencing and object? One Zen
person had satori upon hearing a bell ring. "When I heard the bell ring, there
was no bell and there was no "I", there was just the ringing!" Is it not
perfectly obvious that in the actual right here, right now moment of
experience, there is just the totality of the experience, Just This, with
nothing else tacked on? As Seng T'san noted, "The object is object for the
subject and the subject is subject for the object. Know that both rest upon one
emptiness." And now that I have mentioned that word, 'emptiness', are you going
to ask what it is, where it comes from and where it goes? "It is like an eye
that sees, but cannot see itself. It is like a sword that cuts, but cannot cut
itself!"
Steve