--- On Mon, 10/1/11, SteveW <eugnostos2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: SteveW <eugnostos2...@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Zen] zen, reality, etc(to Anthony/list)
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com

Hi Mel, Anthony and Whomever It May Concern.

MEL: Greetings Steve

Who exactly is this moment going by?

MEL: One could say the individual or object, living or non-living...or the the
whole picture/world/universe/some other idea

When you recall what you regard as being the previous moment in the series, is
it not right here, right now as a memory? And when you anticipate a future
moment in the series, is it not right here, right now as an anticipation?

MEL:  Yes

Who or what is it that you think is changing?

MEL: Everyone, everything, the whole thing

Is not this notion based upon the unfounded assumption that you are a subject
experiencing and object?

MEL: Unfounded assumption? I don't understand. Please elaborate. The use of
one's daily activities may help

One Zen person had satori upon hearing a bell ring.

MEL: That could be a problem. The mention of satori occurs like some finality
in some people's minds. It may also depend on what 'satori' is all about with
each circumstance

"When I heard the bell ring, there was no bell and there was no "I", there was
just the ringing!"

MEL: Yes

Is it not perfectly obvious that in the actual right here, right now moment of
experience, there is just the totality of the experience, Just This, with
nothing else tacked on?

MEL: Yes, but 'perfect' is relative

As Seng T'san noted, "The object is object for the subject and the subject is
subject for the object. Know that both rest upon one emptiness."

MEL: There just is. Emptiness...yes...

And now that I have mentioned that word, 'emptiness', are you going to ask what
it is, where it comes from and where it goes?

MEL: It depends on the activity. I could be working in the kitchen. Something
was there and it has now gone missing, and so I will wonder where it has gone

"It is like an eye that sees, but cannot see itself. It is like a sword that
cuts, but cannot cut itself!"

MEL: Yes