Bill and all,

Since we just had a discussion about sex between  Teachers and students, I had
to pass this along.  Bill-- this is getting to be daytime drama-quality.  Will
Gempo be on "Dancing with the Stars" next?... k

Dear Kanzeon Zen Center Members and Friends,

As you are no doubt aware, the situation at Kanzeon has been the subject of a
great deal of conversation on the internet and elsewhere, including an open
“Letter of Recommendation to Kanzeon Zen Center” from 44 American Zen Teachers,
which was sent to us directly by Kyogen Carlson of the Dharma Rain Zen Center
and posted two days ago on the Sweeping Zen website.

Attached is the Kanzeon Board’s response to that letter, which we are sending
today to Roshi Gerry Shishin Wick, President, of the White Plum Asanga, and to
the American Zen Teachers Association.  We trust that they will post our letter
on their websites and pass it on to their members.

We would also like to remind you of the healing circle meeting tonight in the
Zendo at Kanzeon at 7:30.  These meetings will not be broadcast or recorded.
Once again, we invite you to speak and listen from your heart, and even if you
have not been involved in the conversation until now, to join us and
participate actively in the healing and rebuilding of our sangha.

Sincerely,
The Kanzeon Board

*****

 To Members of the American Zen Teachers and White Plum Asanga:

As members of the Board of Kanzeon Zen Center, we have received many e-mails
and phone calls concerning the highly-publicized situation resulting from Genpo
Merzel’s admission of his transgressions and sexual misconduct. These
communications from Zen teachers in your organizations and others, not to
mention open letters and other postings on various social media and internet
sites, are filled with advice and recommendations, many of which are beyond the
scope of our responsibility as a Board. To the extent that they are motivated
by a sincere concern for the survival, healing and rebuilding of our sangha, we
would like to share with you an account of some of our efforts to date.

• Feb. 3rd: Shortly after returning from the international sangha meeting in
Europe, Genpo Merzel met with the sangha at the Zen Center in Salt Lake City in
an open meeting which was widely publicized in advance. He admitted his
misconduct (which had already been made public but wasn’t known by all
attending), apologized for his actions for which he bears the blame and
responsibility, and responded to the pain, anger, concerns, questions, and
feelings of his wife, family and sangha members.

• Feb. 6th: Genpo Merzel announced he is disrobing as a Soto Zen Buddhist
priest, resigning as a member of the White Plum Asanga, acknowledged his own
dishonest, hurtful behavior as well as his sexual misconduct, and said he has
entered therapy which will continue indefinitely. This statement was posted on
his website on Feb. 7th — http://bigmind.org/Responsibility.html.

• Feb. 8th: Kanzeon Zen Center announced that Richard Taido Christofferson
Sensei will be taking over the teaching functions, training, administration,
day-to-day operations, scheduling of all events, ceremonies, retreats, etc. as
Vice Abbot and full time resident teacher. Kanzeon and Big Mind (a separate
corporate entity) will also separate their websites, and Big Mind will continue
as a separate secular practice, not connected with the Soto Zen Buddhist
School. This announcement is posted at http://bigmind.org/Home.html.

• Feb. 10th: The first of a projected series of council meetings was held with
community members who wished to attend and express their feelings and their
views on attempts for future healing.

• Feb. 13th: Taido Sensei arrived in Salt Lake City to lead a town hall meeting
to which all local members were invited. He outlined his vision for the future
of Kanzeon under his leadership and responded to the concerns of the audience.

• Ongoing: The Board is formulating a Code of Ethics and Guidelines for
Procedures addressing issues of misconduct, abuse, and grievances within the
sangha, based on models already instituted by other groups. They will be
adopted as soon as possible.

Further, an e-mail sent to us yesterday by members of your organizations raised
six issues, to which we briefly respond as follows:

1. Teaching. Genpo Merzel is taking an indefinite leave of absence of at least
a year from Kanzeon. The Board has no authority over Big Mind, Inc.

2. Therapy. This is a matter for health care professionals working with Genpo
to determine. This is not within the expertise or purview of the Board.

3. Salt Lake Zen Center. The Board is making every effort to maintain the
facilities and keep the Center open for the community. This effort has been
hampered by the heated rhetoric coming from the Zen Teacher community, in
particular those who have reached out to members of our community to inflame
reactions that are more adversarial than cooperative.

4. Money Issues. The Board is supporting Taido Sensei's effort to maintain the
flow of revenue through memberships and programs. His teaching schedule for the
next two months will be posted shortly. We are a small Sangha, which has been
financially supported by Genpo's teaching for many years and more recently by
his teaching through Big Mind, Inc. He has offered to continue to support
Kanzeon to the extent he can. Therefore, donations you wish to make to enable
the Board to implement item 6 below would be welcomed.

5. Public Statement of Apology. Genpo has apologized and his apology is posted
at http://bigmind.org/Responsibility.html. He continues to talk full
responsibility for the harm his actions have caused.

6. Outside expert assistance. Taido Sensei has been in contact with several
Dharma teachers in the White Plum Asanga, who have offered their support and
willingness to come to Kanzeon to share their skills as teachers, therapists,
and leaders who have experienced the problems of leading centers through
similar crises. The Board in consultation with Taido Sensei will develop a plan
that will include consultation with and participation of these and other Zen
teachers. The Board has also been in contact with organizations, which can
provide experienced, objective, professional assistance in guiding us to the
creation of a healthier sangha with proper safeguards and strategies to avoid
any future misconduct and abuse.

As you might expect, these activities are occurring in an environment that is
under great stress. The Center’s very small staff which is implementing the
changes we have set in motion, is struggling to maintain the Center’s schedule
and commitments in financially constricted conditions, not to mention the
strong daily practice which all agree is vital especially now, while at the
same time coping with a deluge of phone calls and emails engendered by the
ever-increasing volume of recommendations and calls for action like yours.
Long-time bonds of respect and friendship among members of the sangha are being
frayed and broken. People with little or no connection to our sangha or Center
have appeared at meetings designed to promote healing only to offer their own
inflammatory views on our situation. Our Zendo has been vandalized, a beloved
statue stolen from the altar.

Under these circumstances, we respectfully request that those people who
sincerely hope that we at Kanzeon survive and heal as a community, and create
an environment and adopt procedures that lessen the possibility of any future
misconduct or abuse, will extend us a little patience and allow us the time and
breathing space to restore the peace and harmony of the sangha and the strength
and sound practice of its members. Genpo Merzel has repeatedly reiterated his
full support for all of the actions taken by the Board and Sensei as outlined
above.

Board of Trustees of Kanzeon, Inc.

Kanzeon Zen Center
1268 E. South Temple