Hi Anthony,

It's amusing how language can end up at one place or another.

There are a few types of javanese, just as it is with sundanese (west java 
dialect). If you do not use the right type to some people, they will either 
think you are mad at them or you are a rude person.

Siska
-----Original Message-----
From: Anthony Wu <[email protected]>
Sender: [email protected]
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2011 04:53:48 
To: <[email protected]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle

Siska,
 
Believe or not, Javanese was one of my 'native tongues' my nanny taught me, 
along with Hokian from my mother. It was a long time ago, and I lost that 
capability.
 
Anthony

--- On Fri, 9/9/11, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:


From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, 9 September, 2011, 7:20 PM


  



Hi Anthony,

Ah yes, I also find it hard to understand some mainland china accents.

> aku gak iso omong Cino.

*grin* that is javanesse, which is quite different from indonesian, especially 
the royal version. We have plenty of dialects here. 

Did you use translator software or do you speak the language?

Siska


From: Anthony Wu <[email protected]> 
Sender: [email protected] 
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2011 17:51:09 +0800 (SGT)
To: <[email protected]>
ReplyTo: [email protected] 
Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle

  






Siska,
 
Chinese living in different places pronounce the same words in completely 
different tones. They don't understand each other if they are not used to 
other's tones. But after some more encounters, a certain degree of 
understanding can be achieved. That was my experiences when I moved around in 
different locations in China.
 
Do you understand what language is shown below?
 
aku gak iso omong Cino.
 
Anthony

--- On Fri, 9/9/11, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:


From: [email protected] <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
To: [email protected]
Date: Friday, 9 September, 2011, 10:47 AM


  

Bill,

Indonesian is not a tonal language, but it is hard still to understand it if 
people don't pronounce it properly. I find it more problematic with people who 
speaks tonal language as native language.

I speak a little chinese, which is also tonal. And sometimes, I also don't 
understand when it is not said with the right tone. I suspect it has to do with 
mind's flexibility. If a certain word can have a few meanings with different 
tone, someone can either move very quickly between meanings and derive at the 
right word and understand what you are saying, or stick to one meaning and get 
confused.

I tend to do the latter.

Siska 


From: "Bill!" <[email protected]> 
Sender: [email protected] 
Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2011 02:13:16 -0000
To: <[email protected]>
ReplyTo: [email protected] 
Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle

  

As a native English-speaker that speaks a few other languages (badly) I can 
tell you I believe English-speakers are VERY flexible when listening to others 
speak English or any other language. I think that is because we are used to 
hearing many different kinds of English: British (which itself has many 
dialects), USA (which has many dialects), Australians, New Zealanders and South 
Africans; and English spoken non-native English-speakers such as the Irish, 
Scots, Welsh and India; and the rest of the world that have learned English to 
some extent or the other.

I live in Thailand and speak Thai - somewhat. Some Thai's can understand my 
Thai fairly well, and some can't understand a word I say. Of course Thai is a 
tonal language where one syllable can have 5 different tones which changes the 
meaning, but some Thai's are more rigid about this than others, and I don't 
mean rigid in that they don't like the way I speak, but rigid in that they just 
can't understand what I'm saying unless I'm using EXACTLY the right tonation.

...Bill!

--- In [email protected], siska_cen@... wrote:
>
> Hi Mayka,
> 
> > I didn't say you have a problem of mis-interpretation. 
> 
> I wasn't saying that you did either ;-) 
> 
> I was sharing my feeling that english speaking people are generally better in 
> understanding 'broken' english than myself, who find it a little hard to 
> understand 'broken' indonesian.
> 
> Siska
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Maria Lopez <flordeloto@...>
> Sender: [email protected]
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:57:12 
> To: <[email protected]>
> Reply-To: [email protected]
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> 
> Siska:
> I didn't say you have a problem of mis-interpretation.  I said that as 
> people who first language is not English we may make use of expressions or 
> even funny grammar...(at the very least, I do at times) and as a result there 
> is a misinterpretation etc.  However, there are also misinterpretations or 
> misunderstandings at times in one owns language communicated  through 
> internet, anyway. 
> Mayka  
> 
> --- On Thu, 8/9/11, siska_cen@... <siska_cen@...> wrote:
> 
> 
> From: siska_cen@... <siska_cen@...>
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Thursday, 8 September, 2011, 12:06
> 
> 
>   
> 
> 
> 
> Hello Mayka,
> 
> I don't really have mis-interpretation problem. I find that english speaking 
> people I've met have very good sense in guessing whatever we meant with our 
> limited english. Unlike myself. 
> 
> Where I used to work, there were expatriates. When they speak our language, 
> broken, I found it really hard to guess correctly what they were trying to 
> say.
> 
> Siska
> 
> 
> From: Maria Lopez <flordeloto@...> 
> Sender: [email protected] 
> Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 08:19:53 +0100 (BST)
> To: <[email protected]>
> ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> 
>   
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Hi Siska!
> I was unaware of English not been your first language.  We're in the same 
> boat here.  It also happens to me to express things that native English 
> speakers interpretation differs from what I meant to communicate.  
> Mayka
> 
> --- On Wed, 7/9/11, siska_cen@... <siska_cen@...> wrote:
> 
> 
> From: siska_cen@... <siska_cen@...>
> Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Wednesday, 7 September, 2011, 12:14
> 
> 
>   
> 
> Bill,
> 
> English being my second language, sometimes I'm not aware of connotation 
> implied in the words. It reminds me of once when I said, "I believe we all 
> get what we deserve". To me, it simply means we reap what we sow, be it good 
> or bad. But I was corrected because 'deserve' implies punishment, of which I 
> wasn't aware.
> 
> This is a good reminder. Thank you.
> 
> Siska 
> 
> 
> From: "Bill!" <BillSmart@...> 
> Sender: [email protected] 
> Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 08:16:51 -0000
> To: <[email protected]>
> ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> 
>   
> 
> Anthony, Mike and Siska,
> 
> Well you all used or continued to repeat the word 'condemn' which implies 
> it's a bad thing. You didn't say your were 'rewarded' with the life of a 
> fox...
> 
> But I of all people know how tricky the English language can be when talking 
> about these types of things, so I'll take your word for it.
> 
> ...Bill! 
> 
> --- In [email protected], siska_cen@ wrote:
> >
> > Bill, I never said it is a bad (or good) thing. I don't think Mike did 
> > either ;-)
> > 
> > Siska
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: "Bill!" <BillSmart@>
> > Sender: [email protected]
> > Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 04:22:41 
> > To: <[email protected]>
> > Reply-To: [email protected]
> > Subject: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > 
> > ...and what's so bad about living as a fox for 500 years?
> > 
> > ...Bill!
> > 
> > --- In [email protected], siska_cen@ wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Mike,
> > > 
> > > Ah, got your point.
> > > 
> > > > there is no self, yet..
> > > There is no self, no yet ;-)
> > > 
> > > Siska
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: mike brown <uerusuboyo@>
> > > Sender: [email protected]
> > > Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 07:28:05 
> > > To: [email protected]<[email protected]>
> > > Reply-To: [email protected]
> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > > 
> > > Hi Siska,
> > >  
> > > Oh, I see. I thought you were asking if saying, "There is and isn't a 
> > > diifference" condemns you to 500 years as a fox. Really, it's just a 
> > > question of neither being absolute nor subjective. For example, there is 
> > > no self, yet...
> > >  
> > > Mike
> > > 
> > > From: "siska_cen@" <siska_cen@>
> > > To: [email protected]
> > > Sent: Tuesday, 6 September 2011, 11:28
> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > > 
> > > 
> > >   
> > > Hi Mike,
> > > 
> > > Don't really get it, if what were true?
> > > 
> > > Siska
> > > From: mike brown <uerusuboyo@> 
> > > Sender: [email protected] 
> > > Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 03:17:07 +0100 (BST)
> > > To: [email protected]<[email protected]>
> > > ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > >   
> > > Hi Siska,
> > >  
> > > If that were true, then what wouldn't condemn you to 500 years as a fox?
> > >  
> > > Mike
> > > 
> > > From: "siska_cen@" <siska_cen@>
> > > To: [email protected]
> > > Sent: Monday, 5 September 2011, 18:48
> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > > 
> > > 
> > >   
> > > Hi Mike,
> > > 
> > > > In other words, there is and there isn't a difference.
> > > 
> > > I like this.
> > > 
> > > Would statements implying there is or isn't a difference condemn you to 
> > > 500 years as a fox too? :-)
> > > 
> > > Siska
> > > From: mike brown <uerusuboyo@> 
> > > Sender: [email protected] 
> > > Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:17:44 +0100 (BST)
> > > To: [email protected]<[email protected]>
> > > ReplyTo: [email protected] 
> > > Subject: Re: [Zen] Fwd: Re: [Zen Living] Supreme Vehicle
> > >   
> > > 
> > > 
> > > >In truth, Two and One are in support of one another.
> > > 
> > > >>Here it seems that Rev Harvey makes distinction between Two and One. 
> > > >>Are they really different at all?
> > > 
> > > Siska,
> > > 
> > > Just as Bill! is condemed to live 500 years as a fox for saying 
> > > that an enlightened person isn't subject to karma (just as he 
> > > would be if he said that an enlightened person is 
> > > subject to karma), so with this question. There is no yes or no. 
> > > In other words, there is and there isn't a difference.
> > > 
> > > Mike  
> > >
> >
>







Reply via email to