Hi Bill,

The key in KG's post was "Taoist soil". Well known Taoist practices are fengshui, Qigong, Taichi, acupuncture, etc. They all cultivate or channel qi(chi) in different ways. In other words, Sitting Chan is Taoist, but the explanation is more Buddhist. The reasons for utilizing Buddhist terms, when Chan suppose to be taught "without words", is for the convenience of the practitioner. It is convenient especially in the spiritual domain, and you were right in your understanding that Chan could be more spiritual than zen, or more accurately in your understanding of zen.

Perhaps it is a good time to discuss Sitting Chan, since it seems to be the key difference. We say, Sitting Chan is to sit in the "life force and wisdom of Chan". As you recall, we define Chan to be the "universal life force and wisdom". As our mind quiets down, our awareness and focus to our body and mind enhances. We can then feel/channel/direct the chi circulation in our body and similarly, we "know" how quiet is our mind. When that happens, we could integrate our body and mind and be one with the ONE and be in sync with its energy and wisdom naturally and automatically.

Academically, Chan categorizes the ability of "knowing" the states of our mind, "awareness" and "focus" to be in the spiritual domain, which resides in our "heart", while categorizes "thoughts, logic, words," in the mental domain or "mind". This is so, purely for convenience of teaching, especially cross language barriers.

I suspect "mindfulness meditation" or Zazen emphasizes the same principles -- awarenesss. Would you not agree that to be "aware" of what we were thinking would be logically easier to explain, if it is NOT the functions of the same mind which does the thinking? Therefore, in our school, we say "enhance your spiritual awareness to notice and quiet your mind."

If you agree, then zen and Chan are not different in the spiritual sense.

I wrote a bunch of words purely trying to communicate.

Thank you,
jm