Joe, Wow! I haven't heard all those terms in a while.
I never had an official role in any sesshins beyond normal samu (word detail). On one sesshin at the Zen Mountain Center I was assigned to the kitchen and that was really nice. Otherwise it was just cleaning and sweeping. I did take on the duties of juki sometimes for the normal daily zazen periods. That duty was passed around among many of the established students. All roles during sesshin at ZCLA and the Mountain Center were assigned to those who had gone through jukai. I never did that. Tetsugan was usually the jisha during sesshin but other monks including Daido would take that on during the normal schedule. Both Tetsuan and Daido (and one other senior monk whose name I forget) seemed to take turns as tanto. ...Bill! --- In [email protected], "Joe" <desert_woodworker@...> wrote: > > Bill!, > > Yes, I knew. > > Do you remember either one of them taking a role on sesshin in one of the > service positions, like Jiki, Ino, Jisha, or Tanto? Probably those senior > guys would have been Tanto. And you? Did you do any of the service > positions, Bill? Or... did they have only priests or nuns in those roles on > sesshin? > > --Joe > > > "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote: > > > > Joe, et al... > > > > Daido was a senior monk at ZCLA when I was there. Tetsugan (Bernie > > Glassman) was the Head Monk. Neither 'taught' (conducted dokusan) during > > that time, but both certainly 'taught' informally by their presence, > > example and counsel. > ------------------------------------ Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/ <*> Your email settings: Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email: [email protected] [email protected] <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: [email protected] <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
