Joe,

The third one was Genpo!  He was always smiling and I really liked him.  I 
don't remember Daishin.

...Bill!  

--- In [email protected], "Joe" <desert_woodworker@...> wrote:
>
> Bill!,
> 
> Oh, yes.  Those words are kept in currency too in the Diamond Sangha, of 
> Aitken Roshi.  Our group in Tucson is one of the affiliate sanghas.  So when 
> I practiced here with them over a 22 year period, the words became second 
> nature, or native lingo.
> 
> Each sesshin also had a Karmadana, who assigns samu tasks to each 
> participant, and sees that they carried them out not only well, but in a way 
> to help the person's practice.
> 
> The Tenzo was usually a most experienced student, who could also enlist 
> several "choppers", or assistants, to help prepare meals.  I've been a 
> chopper, but never Tenzo.  I've done each and every other position many 
> times, but was never head-cook, Tenzo.  I think they didn't trust "the SKINNY 
> GUY" to be Cook!  ;-)
> 
> Our training of new officers (as we called the service-position figures) 
> began with Jiki, the time-keeper pos'n.  People got to practice Jiki at daily 
> evening sits, and of course on Zazenkai (all-day Saturday sit, with sesshin 
> intensity, and Roshi), and on 7-day sesshin and 3-day sesshin.  I'd say it 
> takes several years to become a really, really, good, sensitive Jiki.
> 
> We trained Inos, the chant-leaders, next, usually after a person had been 
> Jiki many times in many different circumstances, usually over years.  We 
> trained Ino in use of the voice and breath, and in the various instruments: 
> the large floor bell, the blocks, and the hand-bell (used during vows, and 
> bows).  Ino was also trained for service before mealtimes on sesshin, and 
> before and after Roshi's Teisho on sesshin, and for Sevices on sesshin.
> 
> Jisha is selected by Roshi for sesshin, and trained by Roshi.  Jisha 
> organizes and monitors the Dokusan line, and serves Roshi as attendant.
> 
> Tanto is selected by Roshi for sesshin, and trained by Roshi.
> 
> Karmadana is usually a volunteer position for each sesshin, and is often the 
> same person for years.  Sometimes we refer to him or her as "Work 
> Coordinator".  Karmadana usually is a long-time sangha member who knows just 
> about everybody very well.
> 
> Tenzo, cook, is a volunteer position, but is always someone senior in the 
> practice... and who can cook... and keep the schedule.  ;-)
> 
> New Tenzos are trained out of the folks who serve as "choppers" with the 
> Tenzo.
> 
> Practice changes a lot when you begin doing the service positions.  You go 
> deep in your own practice, of course, but you must also be very aware of your 
> duties, and timing, and coordination with everyone else of the other 
> officers, and Roshi.  This is yet another way of bringing and keeping our 
> practice in the world of everyday life.  Serving in these "positions" is very 
> fine, fine Zen practice.  Great opportunities, all of them.
> 
> There are TWO temples at a Zen center, you know.  One is the Ch'an Hall or 
> Zendo; the other is the Kitchen.  These must be perfectly coordinated.  This 
> coordination is another of the everyday miracles that our practice exercises 
> in us, and teaches.
> 
> I say, don't miss it, if you have a chance to practice like this.
> 
> At home, I am my own Tenzo, Cook.  But I never took on the work of cooking 
> for 26, or 35, etc., on sesshin, three meals a day, for 7 days while 
> practicing deeply and closely with Roshi.  Hats off to all Tenzos!  Hail!
> 
> --Joe
> 
> PS  It warms my heart to hear about Bernie (Tetsugen) and Daido.  Maybe the 
> other Tanto may have been Buksbazen?  John (Daishin), I think.  Great Dharma 
> name!  Or, maybe it could have been also have been Genpo Merzel?
> 
> 
> > "Bill!" <BillSmart@> wrote:
> > 
> > Wow!  I haven't heard all those terms in a while.
> > 
> > I never had an official role in any sesshins beyond normal samu (word 
> > detail).  On one sesshin at the Zen Mountain Center I was assigned to the 
> > kitchen and that was really nice.  Otherwise it was just cleaning and 
> > sweeping.
> > 
> > I did take on the duties of juki sometimes for the normal daily zazen 
> > periods.  That duty was passed around among many of the established 
> > students.
> > 
> > All roles during sesshin at ZCLA and the Mountain Center were assigned to 
> > those who had gone through jukai.  I never did that.
> > 
> > Tetsugan was usually the jisha during sesshin but other monks including 
> > Daido would take that on during the normal schedule.  Both Tetsuan and 
> > Daido (and one other senior monk whose name I forget) seemed to take turns 
> > as tanto.
>




------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to