bill... thank you for your good advice

can one "over polish".?

i spy  with my little eye.... over polishing may lead to certain arrogance ..

merle

Merle,

I agree with Mike.  Additionally a teacher can make first guide you to a
realization and sure you're not deceiving yourself along the way.  I don't know
how many times I thought I had the 'answer' to Mu and went into the dokusan
room (private interview with the teacher) full of confidence only to be
unceremoniously rung out (the teacher rings a little bell notifying you that
the dokusan is over).

But like Mike says when I finally 'got it' there was really no need for
validation, just a profound feeling of gratitude and need to thank  my teacher
for sticking with me and guiding me while I floundered around.

And then there of course is the start of the polishing, the real start of your
zen practice.

...Bill!