bill..
what a beautiful poem hui neng has crafted..
i see the site also has information..that i have investigated..t
he bottom line to zen..
is that enlightenment that cannot be grasped with any "tools" please correct me
if i am  incorrect
has edgar been aware that is the way of zen?
maybe his harping of the intellect and rational thought might just be able to
rest and he finally will be free of all that huffing and puffing and mind
bending  acrobatics
 merle

Merle,

I don't think you can 'over polish' in the way I meant to use it.  I meant it
to mean wipe away all traces of self and attachment.  That is zen practice.
When that's been fully achieved there is nothing left to which attachments can
anchor and nothing left to polish.  I assume that's 'full enlightenment'.

This is similar to the well known zen story about Hui Neng, the 6th Patriarch

"One day the Fifth Patriarch told his monks to express their wisdom in a poem.
Whoever had true realization of his original nature (Buddha Nature) would be
ordained the Sixth Patriarch. The head monk, Shen Hsiu, was the most learned,
and wrote the following:

The body is the wisdom-tree,
The mind is a bright mirror in a stand;
Take care to wipe it all the time,
And allow no dust to cling.

The poem was praised, but The Fifth Patriarch knew that Shen Hsiu had not yet
found his original nature, on the other hand, Hui Neng couldn't even write, so
someone had to write down his poem, which read:

Fundamentally no wisdom-tree exists,
Nor the stand of a mirror bright.
Since all is empty from the beginning,
Where can the dust alight?

The Fifth Patriarch pretended that he wasn't impressed with this poem either,
but in the middle of the night he summoned Hui Neng. The Fifth Patriarch gave
him the insignia of his office, the Patriarch's robe and bowl (source). Hui
Neng was told to leave for the South and to hide his enlightenment and
understanding until the proper time arrives for him to propagate the Dharma."

- Source: http://sped2work.tripod.com/huineng.html

...Bill!