Suresh,

The only real humility is (actual) Selflessness.

Other humility is a discipline, or a charade (a feature of attachment to a
Self).

Other humility is thus not quite real, and definitely not Natural (not a
feature of actual Nature).

Selflessness is attained when all else drops away.  This occurs in the
awakening of Zen, through absolutely correct Zen practice with Teacher, and
Sangha.  If it happens otherwise, it is perhaps one in a Billion times, so just
forget about that.  Better to seek a practice situation with others, and
especially with a true Teacher, to help one's chances, and to he help ensure
that one will open to true Wisdom and Compassion, and not to yet another
Attachment of some kind.

But I always say this.  You know this already, to the extent that *I* think it
is true.  Some disagree; I think they are sadly mistaken, and deluded on this
point, and others.

I've seen no one else awaken, though -- by the way -- in 35 years in these
circles, and OUT of these circles.

Having children with special needs or special characters has nothing to do with
true humility.  It depends on one's own actual living character, not upon the
personalities in one's family.

This is the best I can offer, today.

Yours!,

--Joe

SURESH JAGADEESAN <varamtha@...> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Can anyone define what is to be 'Humble'?
>
> Since sometimes back one of my old senior colleague advised me that
> "whether you are right or wrong is not important, be humble, and
> humble since you have special children you need to be much more
> humbled." He used to be like my well-wisher.

[snip]