On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 19:44 +0200, Francesco wrote:
> Hi Luca,
>
> thanks for details. I found out a problem that was blocking my
> testing: I have used a gcc 5.3 on some servers to build Zyre and
> apparently some build option I have there is causing my problem
> (nodes
> stuck after  "Took 3 ms to coordinate with all remote")... in another
> couple of servers I used the Centos7 native compiler (gcc4.7 IIRC)
> and
> it worked.  I will dig into this issue tomorrow.

That's a bit suspicious :-)

> When I got it running however I got somewhat low numbers, around 60k
> msg/sec (2 nodes). On the same machines I ran my own performance
> testing program with ZeroMQ and for 64B packets I reached around 1.5
> Mpps.
>
> I didn't check the source code of the perf_loca/remote program but am
> I missing something?

I get the same numbers more or less. Note that zyre perf code is less
optimised for throughput - it uses high level APIs that do a loc of
mallocs and copies, etc.
libzmq perf code uses more high performance zero-copy APIs, and that
makes a lot of difference.

> > On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 10:43 +0200, Francesco wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've been looking into Zyre as framework to build peer to peer
> > > messaging.
> > > I've found that there is a "perf_local" and "perf_remote"
> > > binaries
> > > inside it... I'm curious to know: has anybody measured
> > > performances
> > > and is willing to share his numbers?
> > >
> > > Btw I tried running that utility: I opened 2 shells and I ran
> > >    ./perf_local 2
> > >
> > > but all I get is just:
> > >    "Took 3 ms to coordinate with all remote"
> > >
> > > and then nothing...
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > In one terminal first do:
> >
> > ./perf_remote 4
> >
> > And then in another:
> >
> > ./perf_local 4
> >
> > The argument must match. By default it's 25 (note that it requires
> > an
> > higher ulimit -n than most defaults), and it sends 1000 messages
> > (pass
> > a second argument to perf_remote to override this)
> >
> > --
> > Kind regards,
> > Luca Boccassi

Kind regards,