Hi Luca,
thanks for your reply.

> On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 19:44 +0200, Francesco wrote:
>> thanks for details. I found out a problem that was blocking my
>> testing: I have used a gcc 5.3 on some servers to build Zyre and
>> apparently some build option I have there is causing my problem
>> (nodes
>> stuck after  "Took 3 ms to coordinate with all remote")... in another
>> couple of servers I used the Centos7 native compiler (gcc4.7 IIRC)
>> and
>> it worked.  I will dig into this issue tomorrow.
>
> That's a bit suspicious :-)

Actually I found that the utility "zpinger" works (the 2 nodes "ping"
each other)... I suspect it's due to the fact that when I used gcc5.3
I used a version of libzmq built without libsodium...

>> When I got it running however I got somewhat low numbers, around 60k
>> msg/sec (2 nodes). On the same machines I ran my own performance
>> testing program with ZeroMQ and for 64B packets I reached around 1.5
>> Mpps.
>>
>> I didn't check the source code of the perf_loca/remote program but am
>> I missing something?
>
> I get the same numbers more or less. Note that zyre perf code is less
> optimised for throughput - it uses high level APIs that do a loc of
> mallocs and copies, etc.
> libzmq perf code uses more high performance zero-copy APIs, and that
> makes a lot of difference.

So do you think that when I have 2 Zyre nodes talking to each other
(actually  unidirectional communication is a more fair comparison to
my ZMQ tests) I can reach similar performance to plain ZMQ sockets if
I spend some time optimizing the code?
That's an important point for me to decide whether using vanilla ZMQ
or Zyre instead...

Thanks,
Francesco