On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 22:48 +0200, Francesco wrote:
> Hi Luca,
> thanks for your reply.

> > On Thu, 2017-08-10 at 19:44 +0200, Francesco wrote:
> > > thanks for details. I found out a problem that was blocking my
> > > testing: I have used a gcc 5.3 on some servers to build Zyre and
> > > apparently some build option I have there is causing my problem
> > > (nodes
> > > stuck after  "Took 3 ms to coordinate with all remote")... in
> > > another
> > > couple of servers I used the Centos7 native compiler (gcc4.7
> > > IIRC)
> > > and
> > > it worked.  I will dig into this issue tomorrow.
> >
> > That's a bit suspicious :-)
> >

> Actually I found that the utility "zpinger" works (the 2 nodes "ping"
> each other)... I suspect it's due to the fact that when I used gcc5.3
> I used a version of libzmq built without libsodium...

That still shouldn't make any difference, peers should be able to
communicate regardless.

If you have a way to reproduce please share it or open an issue on
Github.

> > > When I got it running however I got somewhat low numbers, around
> > > 60k
> > > msg/sec (2 nodes). On the same machines I ran my own performance
> > > testing program with ZeroMQ and for 64B packets I reached around
> > > 1.5
> > > Mpps.
> > >
> > > I didn't check the source code of the perf_loca/remote program
> > > but am
> > > I missing something?
> >
> > I get the same numbers more or less. Note that zyre perf code is
> > less
> > optimised for throughput - it uses high level APIs that do a loc of
> > mallocs and copies, etc.
> > libzmq perf code uses more high performance zero-copy APIs, and
> > that
> > makes a lot of difference.
>
> So do you think that when I have 2 Zyre nodes talking to each other
> (actually  unidirectional communication is a more fair comparison to
> my ZMQ tests) I can reach similar performance to plain ZMQ sockets if
> I spend some time optimizing the code?
> That's an important point for me to decide whether using vanilla ZMQ
> or Zyre instead...
>
> Thanks,
> Francesco

In theory with some massaging it might be possible. If what you want is
a way to discover peers, you can form the groups and then get the list
of connected peers, and then their address. Then you could use the
zero-copy low-level libzmq APIs.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi