On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, Moore, Joe wrote:

> On ZFS, sequential files are rarely sequential anyway.  The SPA tries to
> keep blocks nearby, but when dealing with snapshotted sequential files
> being rewritten, there is no way to keep everything in order.

I think that rewriting files (updating existing blocks) is pretty
rare.  Only limited types of applications do such things.  That is a
good thing since zfs is not so good at rewriting files.  The most
common situation is that a new file is written, even if selecting
"save" for an existing file in an application.  Even if the user
thinks that the file is being re-written, usually the application
writes to a new temporary file and moves it into place once it is
known to be written correctly.  The majority of files will be written
sequentially and most files will be small enough that zfs will see all
the data before it outputs to disk.

Bob