Moore, Joe wrote:

> On ZFS, sequential files are rarely sequential anyway.  The SPA tries to
> keep blocks nearby, but when dealing with snapshotted sequential files
> being rewritten, there is no way to keep everything in order.

In some cases, a d11p system could actually speed up data reads and
writes.  If you are repeatedly accessing duplicate data, then you will
more likely hit your ARC, and not have to go to disk.  With your data
d11p, the ARC can hold a significantly higher percentage of your data
set, just like the disks.  For a d11p ARC, I would expire based upon
block reference count.  If a block has few references, it should expire
first, and vise versa, blocks with many references should be the last
out.  With all the savings on disks, think how much RAM you could buy ;)

Jon

--

-     _____/     _____/      /           - Jonathan Loran -           -
-    /          /           /                IT Manager               -