On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Bob Friesenhahn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Something else came to mind which is a negative regarding
> deduplication.  When zfs writes new sequential files, it should try to
> allocate blocks in a way which minimizes "fragmentation" (disk seeks).
> Disk seeks are the bane of existing storage systems since they come
> out of the available IOPS budget, which is only a couple hundred
> ops/second per drive.  The deduplication algorithm will surely result
> in increasing effective fragmentation (decreasing sequential
> performance) since duplicated blocks will result in a seek to the
> master copy of the block followed by a seek to the next block.  Disk
> seeks will remain an issue until rotating media goes away, which (in
> spite of popular opinion) is likely quite a while from now.
>
> Someone has to play devil's advocate here. :-)

With L2ARC on SSD, seeks are free and IOPs are quite cheap (compared
to spinning rust). Cold reads may be a problem, but there is a
reasonable chance that L2ARC sizing can be helpful here.  Also, the
blocks that are likely to be duplicate are going to be the same file
but just with a different offset.  That is, this file is going to be
the same in every one of my LDom disk images.

# du -h /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar
  38M   /usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/rt.jar

There is a pretty good chance that the first copy will be sequential
and as a result all of the deduped copies would be sequential as well.
 What's more - it is quite likely to be in the ARC or L2ARC.

--
Mike Gerdts
http://mgerdts.blogspot.com/