On Wed, 1 Oct 2008, Tim wrote:

>> I think you'd be surprised how large an organisation can migrate most,
>> if not all of their application servers to zones one or two Thumpers.
>>
>> Isn't that the reason for buying in "server appliances"?
>>
> I think you'd be surprised how quickly they'd be fired for putting that much
> risk into their enterprise.

There is the old saying that "No one gets fired for buying IBM".  If
one buys an IBM system which runs 30 isolated instances of Linux, all
of which are used for mission critical applications, is this a similar
risk to consolidating storage on a Thumper since we are really talking
about just one big system?

In what way is consolidating on Sun/Thumper more or less risky to an
enterprise than consolidating on a big IBM server with many
subordinate OS instances?

Bob