So I have just finished building something similar to this...
I'm finally replacing my Pentium II 400Mhz fileserver!

My setup is:

Opensolaris 2008.11
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138117
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129025

(there is no power supply here I had one of those too)
I ended up paying $278

The case and everything makes it super quiet, and it runs very cool.
Still have a power test to run and see but I'm guessing 125 - 150 watts.

I had hard drives available, and using a USB DVD/CD drive for installation
I am using 2 ATA drives mirrored for the root pool
I am using 6 500GB (hitachi) sata drives in raidz for data with the onboard
interface.

The initial iozone test I ran, under ideal block sizes etc, I could sustain
enough to saturate the 1GB interface.  Real world, I haven't been able to see
what my real utilization is.

I use this mostly to store media (movies, mp3s, etc) which I play with a mythtv
box (just using NFS as the share).
Also planning to use this as a backup server for the other machines in the house
(considering running Amanda at home for this)

I'm usually not doing heavy file I/O, so I've also put a virtual machine on
here with virtual box for casual use for other stuff.
During the process I swapped the whole thing to ubuntu on a usb flash and ran
the opensolaris fileserver as a VM with VMWare...but I ended up just not happy
with that in the end.  The usb flash I had was OK, but it's not a hard drive.
With opensolaris, I can still play flash stuff from Hulu fullscreen in HD with
the onboard video.  I've been trying to remember why I still need windows for a
desktop and have been debating just killing that PC as well.

Most of the things that I used windows for (ripping a DVD, etc) can be done
with a VM with virtualbox...it's slow, but it works.  I also don't re-encode
video at all.
I don't know if mythtv will actually run on opensolaris...that would be cool if
it did.

As far as a fileserver that has capacity to do other stuff, I'm very happy with
this setup.

As for the person who suggested a Sun x4150.  Those are extremely loud because
of the fans.  There is no way I could run one of those at my house because of
that.  It was designed for a datacenter (and I have run them there).