Scott Laird wrote:
> Today?  Low-power SSDs are probably less reliable than low-power hard
> drives, although they're too new to really know for certain.  Given
> the number of problems that vendors have had getting acceptable write
> speeds, I'd be really amazed if they've done any real work on
> long-term reliability yet.

Eh?  Flash has been around for well over 25 years and the
technology is well understood.  Trivia: Sun has been shipping
flash memory for nearly its entire history.  What hasn't happened
until relatively recently is that the vendors married high density
flash with a decent controller which expects and manages failures --
like the disk drive guys did 20 years ago.  It occurs to me that
you might be too young to remember that format(1m) was the
tool used to do media analysis and map bad sectors before those
smarts were moved onto the disk ? ;-)  Why, we used to have to
regularly scan the media, reserve spare cylinders, and map out
bad sectors in the snow, walking uphill, in our bare feet because
shoes hadn't been invented yet... ;-)

> Going forward, SSDs will almost certainly
> be more reliable, as long as you have something SMART-ish watching the
> number of worn-out SSD cells and recommending preemptive replacement
> of worn-out drives every few years.  That should be a slow,
> predictable process, unlike most HD failures.

I think you will find that failures can still be catastrophic.
But from a typical reliability analysis, the SSDs will be more
reliable than HDDs.  The enterprise SSDs have DRAM
front-ends and plenty of spare cells to accommodate expected
enterprise use.  FWIW, I expect an MTBF of 3-4M hours for
enterprise SSDs as compared to 1.6M hours for a top-tier
enterprise HDD.  More worrying is the relative newness of the
firmware... but software reliability is a whole different ballgame.

Rumor was that STEC won one of the Apple contracts
http://webfeet.sp360hosting.com/Lists/Research%20News/DispForm.aspx?ID=32
STEC also supplies Sun and EMC. But the competition is
really heating up with Intel and Samsung having made several
recent announcements.  We do live in interesting times :-)
 -- richard