You can't trust any hard drive.  That's what backups are for :-).

Laptop hard drives aren't much worse than desktop drives, and 2.5"
SATA drives are cheap.  As long as they're easy to swap, then a drive
failure isn't the end of the world.  Order a new drive ($100 or so),
swap them, and restore from backup.

I haven't dealt with PC laptops in years, so I can't really compare models.

Scott