On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Tim wrote:

All that and yet the fact remains: I've never "ejected" a USB drive from OS
X or Windows, I simply pull it and go, and I've never once lost data, or had
it become unrecoverable or even corrupted.

And yes, I do keep checksums of all the data sitting on them and
periodically check it.  So, for all of your ranting and raving, the fact
remains even a *crappy* filesystem like fat32 manages to handle a hot unplug
without any prior notice without going belly up.

This seems like another one of your trolls. Any one of us who have used USB drives under OS-X or Windows knows that the OS complains quite a lot if you just unplug the drive so we all learn how to do things properly.

You must have very special data if you compute independent checksums for each one of your files, and it leaves me wondering why you think that data is correct due to being checksummed. Checksumming incorrect data does not make that data correct.

Bob