#1 English is clearly not his native tongue.  Calling someone idiotic and
illiterate when they're doing as well as he is in a second language is not
only inaccurate, it's "idiotic".

> ZFS is not a filesystem like UFS or Reiserfs, nor is it an LVM like
> SVM or VxVM. It is both a filesystem and a logical volume manager. As
> such, like all LVM solutions, there are two steps that you must
> perform to safely remove a disk: unmount the filesystem and quiesce
> the volume. That means you *MUST*, in the case of ZFS, issue 'umount
> filesystem' *AND* 'zpool export' before you yank the USB stick out of
> the machine.
>
> Effectively what you did was create a one-sided mirrored volume with
> one filesystem on it, then put your very important (but not important
> enough to bother mirroring or backing up) data on it. Then you
> unmounted the filesystem and ripped the active volume out of the
> machine. You got away with it a couple of times because just how good
> of a job the ZFS developers did at idiot proofing it, but when it
> finally got to the point where you lost your data, you came here to
> bitch and point fingers at everyone but the responsible party (hint,
> it's you). When your ignorance (and fault) was pointed out to you, you
> then resorted to personal attacks and slurs. Nice. Very professional.
> Welcome to the bit-bucket.

All that and yet the fact remains: I've never "ejected" a USB drive from OS
X or Windows, I simply pull it and go, and I've never once lost data, or had
it become unrecoverable or even corrupted.

And yes, I do keep checksums of all the data sitting on them and
periodically check it.  So, for all of your ranting and raving, the fact
remains even a *crappy* filesystem like fat32 manages to handle a hot unplug
without any prior notice without going belly up.

--Tim