On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Steven Sim <unixan...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Tim;
>
> The proper procedure for ejecting a USB drive in Windows is to right click
> the device icon and eject the appropriate listed device.

I'm well aware of what the proper procedure is.  My point is, I've done it
for years without for various reasons, and never lost data.

> I've done this before without ejecting and lost data before.

Congratulations?  You're honestly the first person I've *EVER* heard of
losing data from it.  Now if we're talking windows98 with it's beta support
of USB that's another story entirely.  But anything from XP on... that takes
an awful lot of work.

> My personal experience with ZFS is that it is very reliable FS. I've not
> lost data on it yet even after several hardware upgrades, abrupt failures
> and recently an unofficial unsanction expansion technique.
>
> The folks at Sun who developed this earnestly believe in their product.
> Sometimes, these belief can translate to an uneven reply.
>
> For my own reasons, I too believe whole heartedly in ZFS. (I don't work in
> Sun nor do I own any share in Sun).
>
> Perhaps we can all work together and find the proper solution here.
>
> Logic dictates that ZFS can survive an abrupt failure far better than
> traditional VM/FS combination. The end to end checking summing simply do not
> exist in traditional methodologies.

But it doesn't, and that's the problem.

> Could you describe in detail the kind of IO access you were generating
> prior to pulling out the USB?

I personally wouldn't even think of putting ZFS on a USB drive.  There's
someone posting here weekly about losing data to ZFS on a USB solution, no
thanks.  Not only that, the complete lack of cross platform support makes it
essentially useless in my world.  I would like to believe it has more to do
with Solaris's support of USB than ZFS, but the fact remains it's a pretty
glaring deficiency in 2009, no matter which part of the stack is at fault.

--Tim