On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:46 AM, Kyle McDonald <kmcdon...@egenera.com>wrote:

> Yep. I've never unplugged a USB drive on purpose, but I have left a drive
> plugged into the docking station, Hibernated windows XP professional,
> undocked the laptop, and then woken it up later undocked. It routinely would
> pop up windows saying that a 'delayed write' was not successful on the now
> missing drive.
>
> I've always counted myself lucky that any new data written to that drive
> was written long long before I hibernated, becuase have yet to find any
> problems with that data, (but I don't read it very often if at all.) But it
> is luck only!
>
>  -Kyle

Right, except the OP stated he unmounted the filesystem in question, and it
was the *ONLY* one on the drive, meaning there is absolutely 0 chance of
their being pending writes.  There's nothing to write to.

 I don't know what exactly it is you put on your USB drives, but I'm
certainly aware of whether or not things on mine are in use before pulling
the drive out.  If a picture is open and in an editor, I'm obviously not
going to save it then pull the drive mid-save.

--Tim