On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Then again, I've never lost data during the learning period, nor on the
rare occasions where I just get it wrong.  This is good; not quite
remembering to eject a USB memory stick is *so* easy.

With Windows and OS-X, it is up to the *user* to determine if they have lost data. This is because they are designed to be user-friendly operating systems. If the disk can be loaded at all, Windows and OS-X will just go with what is left. If Windows and OS-X started to tell users that they lost some data, then those users would be in a panic (just like we see here).

The whole notion of "journaling" is to intentionally lose data by rolling back to a known good point. More data might be lost than if the task was left to a tool like 'fsck' but the journaling approach is much faster. Windows and OS-X are highly unlikely to inform you that some data was lost due to the filesystem being rolled back.

Your comments about write caching being a factor seem reasonable.

Bob