Michael Shadle wrote:
On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:19 AM, Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm going to try to move one of my disks off my rpool tomorrow (since
it's a mirror) to a different controller.

According to what I've heard before, ZFS should automagically
recognize this new location and have no problem, right?

I successfully have realized how nice ZFS is with locating the proper
location of the disk across different controllers/ports. Besides for
rpool - ZFS boot. Moving those creates a huge PITA.

Now quick question - if I have a raidz2 named 'tank' already I can
expand the pool by doing:

zpool attach tank raidz2 device1 device2 device3 ... device7

It will make 'tank' larger and each group of disks (vdev? or zdev?)
You cannot expand a RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 at all. You must back up the data and destroy
if you wish to alter the number of disks in a single RAIDz or RAIDZ2 stripe.

You may however attach and additional RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 to an existing storage pool.
Your pool would look something like below if you add additional RAIDZ's.
This is an output from a J4500 with 48 x 1TB drives with multiple RAIDZ's in a single pool
yielding ~30TB or so.

pool: nbupool
state: ONLINE
scrub: none requested
config:

       NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
       nbupool      ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t2d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t3d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t4d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t5d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t6d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t7d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t8d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t9d0   ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t10d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t11d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t12d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t13d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t14d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t15d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t16d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t17d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t18d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t19d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t20d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t21d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t22d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t23d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t24d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t25d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t26d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t27d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t28d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t29d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t30d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t31d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t32d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t33d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t34d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t35d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t36d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t37d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t38d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t39d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t40d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t41d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
         raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t42d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t43d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t44d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t45d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
           c2t46d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
       spares
         c2t47d0    AVAIL
         c2t48d0    AVAIL
         c2t49d0    AVAIL

will be dual parity. It won't create a mirror, will it?