Michael,

You can't attach disks to an existing RAIDZ vdev, but you add another RAIDZ vdev. Also keep in mind that you can't detach disks from RAIDZ
pools either.

See the syntax below.

Cindy

# zpool create rzpool raidz2 c1t0d0 c1t1d0 c1t2d0
# zpool status
  pool: rzpool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rzpool      ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors
# zpool add rzpool raidz2 c1t3d0 c1t4d0 c1t5d0
# zpool status
  pool: rzpool
 state: ONLINE
 scrub: none requested
config:

        NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        rzpool      ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t0d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t1d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t2d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2    ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t3d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t4d0  ONLINE       0     0     0
            c1t5d0  ONLINE       0     0     0

# zpool attach rzpool c1t5d0 c1t8d0 c1t9d0 c1t10d0
too many arguments
usage:
        attach [-f] <pool> <device> <new_device>

# zpool attach rzpool c1t5d0 c1t8d0
cannot attach c1t8d0 to c1t5d0: can only attach to mirrors and top-level disks

# zpool detach rzpool c1t2d0
cannot detach c1t2d0: only applicable to mirror and replacing vdevs