Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:39 AM, Miles Nordin <car...@ivy.net> wrote:

>    ms> When I attach this new raidz2, will ZFS auto "rebalance" data
>    ms> between the two, or will it keep the other one empty and do
>    ms> some sort of load balancing between the two for future writes
>    ms> only?
>
> the second choice.

I actually have to move a bunch of files around anyway, so what I am
planning on doing is waiting until tonight (hopefully) when I add my
second raidz2 vdev and then doing the move. It's between two ZFS
filesystems on the same zpool, hopefully I might be able to help force
"rebalance" the data a bit (an idea someone had) - either way it's
something I have to do, so I might be able to get some possible
additional benefit out of it too :)

also Cindy: thanks for the "add" vs. "attach" correction.