On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:

Well, I specifically stated that this property should not be recursive, i.e. it
should work only in a root of a filesystem.
When setting this property on a filesystem an administrator should carefully set
permissions to make sure that only trusted entities can create directories
there.

Even limited to the root of a filesystem, it still gives a user the ability to consume resources rapidly. While I appreciate the fact that it would be restricted by permissions, I can think of a number of usage cases where it could suddenly tank a host. One use that might pop up, for example, would be cache spools - which often contain *many* directories. One runaway and kaboom.

We generally use hosts now with plenty of RAM and the per-filesystem overhead for ZFS doesn't cause much concern. However, on a scratch box, try creating a big stack of filesystems - you can end up with a pool that consumes so much memory you can't import it!

'rmdir' question requires some thinking, my first reaction is it should do zfs
destroy...

.. which will fail if there's a snapshot, for example. The problem seems to be reasonably complex - compounded by the fact that many programs that create or remove directories do so directly - not by calling externals that would be ZFS aware.

--
Andre van Eyssen.
mail: an...@purplecow.org          jabber: an...@interact.purplecow.org