on 29/07/2009 17:52 Andre van Eyssen said the following:
> On Wed, 29 Jul 2009, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>
>> Well, I specifically stated that this property should not be
>> recursive, i.e. it
>> should work only in a root of a filesystem.
>> When setting this property on a filesystem an administrator should
>> carefully set
>> permissions to make sure that only trusted entities can create
>> directories there.
>
> Even limited to the root of a filesystem, it still gives a user the
> ability to consume resources rapidly. While I appreciate the fact that
> it would be restricted by permissions, I can think of a number of usage
> cases where it could suddenly tank a host. One use that might pop up,
> for example, would be cache spools - which often contain *many*
> directories. One runaway and kaboom.

Well, the feature would not be on by default.
So careful evaluation and planning should prevent abuses.

> We generally use hosts now with plenty of RAM and the per-filesystem
> overhead for ZFS doesn't cause much concern. However, on a scratch box,
> try creating a big stack of filesystems - you can end up with a pool
> that consumes so much memory you can't import it!
>
>> 'rmdir' question requires some thinking, my first reaction is it
>> should do zfs
>> destroy...
>
> .. which will fail if there's a snapshot, for example. The problem seems
> to be reasonably complex - compounded by the fact that many programs
> that create or remove directories do so directly - not by calling
> externals that would be ZFS aware.

Well, snapshots could be destroyed too, nothing stops from doing that.
BTW, I am not proposing to implement this feature in mkdir/rmdir userland
utility,
I am proposing to implement the feature in ZFS kernel code responsible for
directory creation/removal.

--
Andriy Gapon