On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 01:11:49PM -0400, Eric Sproul wrote:

> I would not use the Caviar Black drives, regardless of TLER settings.  The RE3
> or RE4 drives would be a better choice, since they also have better vibration
> tolerance.  This will be a significant factor in a chassis with 20 spinning
> drives.

Yes, I'm aware of the issue, and am using 16x RE4 drives in my current
box right now (which I unfortunately had to convert to CentOS 5.3 for Oracle/
custom software compatibility reasons). I've made very bad experiences
with Seagate 7200.11 in RAID in the past.

Thanks for your advice against Caviar Black.

> > Do you think above is a sensible choice?
>
> All your other choices seem good.  I've used a lot of Supermicro gear with
> good
> results.  The very leading-edge hardware is sometimes not supported, but

I've been using
http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DAi.cfm
in above box.

> anything that's been out for a while should work fine.  I presume you're going
> for an Intel Xeon solution-- the peripherals on those boards a a bit better
> supported than the AMD stuff, but even the AMD boards work well.

Yes, dual-socket quadcore Xeon.