>Can you use SATA drives with expanders at all? (I have to stick
>to enterprise/nearline SATA (100 EUR/TByte vs. 60 EUR/TByte
>consumer SATA) for cost reasons).

Yes, the expander has nothing to do with the drive in front of it.
I have several SAS expanders with SATA drives on them.

>What is the advantage of using external disk expanders?
>They use up more rack height units and add hardware expense
>and cabling hassle for very little to show for it, IMHO.

Because a single port on any HBA/RAID controller far exceeds the
speed of any single disc. Your analogy doesn't scal well past what
you can fit into a single server.

You also assume every disc enclosure only holds the discs in a similar
fashion to the way they would be oriented in the supermicro chassis.

Here's a nice read:
http://www.scsita.org/aboutscsi/sas/SAS_Expander.doc

jlc