On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:54:16AM -0700, Chris Du wrote:
> Why do you need 3x LSI SAS3081E-R? The back plane has LSI SAS x36 expander so
> you only nedd 1x 3081E. If you want multipathing, you need E2 model.

Can you use SATA drives with expanders at all? (I have to stick
to enterprise/nearline SATA (100 EUR/TByte vs. 60 EUR/TByte
consumer SATA) for cost reasons).

Also, won't you get oversubscription at such large disk populations
on a single host adapter? I was thinking 8x SATA on an 8-lane
PCI Express (what, about 8*200 MByte/s nominal bandwidth?)
was a more conservative setting.

> Second, I'd say use Seagate ES 2 1TB SAS disk especially if you want
> multipathing. I believe E2 only supports SAS disks.
>
> I have Supermicro 936E1 (LSI SAS X28 expander) as diskshelf and

What is the advantage of using external disk expanders?
They use up more rack height units and add hardware expense
and cabling hassle for very little to show for it, IMHO.

Supermicro makes 24-drive chassis with redundant power
supplies which can take server motherboards with enough
PCI Express slots and CPU power to serve them. If you need
more storage, a cluster file system (e.g. pNFS aka NFS 4.1
or PVFS2) can be used to build up nodes. Granted, you'll
probably need InfiniBand in order to make optimal use
of it within the cluster as even channel-bonded GBit
Ethernet will peak at 480 MBytes/s, or so.

> LSI 3080X on head unit, Intel X25-E as ZIL, works like charm.
> Your setup is very well supported by Solaris.

Thank you for the confirmation.

> For motherboard, my Supermicro X8SAX and X8ST3 both work well with Solaris.
> You may want dual proc board that supports more memory. ECC is given on i7
> based when using XEON.

Given that this is a hybrid application (application in
Solaris containers accessing zfs pool on the same machine)
I realize ECC is very important.