On Sep 12, 2009, at 12:00 AM, Paul B. Henson wrote:

Well, I won't claim the drive firmware is completely innocent, but as
evidenced in

http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/fm-discuss/2009-June/ 000436.html

smartctl on a Linux box seems to work just fine. The exact same model drive also works just fine in an x4540. So I think the assertion that the drive
returns random data is demonstrably false.

Your statement that it is "just fine" is false:

---
SMART Selective Self-Test Log Data Structure Revision Number (0) should be
1
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 0
Warning: ATA Specification requires selective self-test log data structure
revision number = 1
---

Like I said, there are ways we could tighten up the FMA code to better handle bad data before going off the rails - most likely smartctl gives up when it sees this invalid record, while we (via SATL) keep going. But any way you slice it, the drive is returning invalid data.

- Eric

--
Eric Schrock, Fishworks                        http://blogs.sun.com/eschrock