On Oct 15, 2011, at 12:31 PM, Toby Thain wrote:

>>> I think I see a couple of points of disconnect.
>>>
>>> #1 - You seem to be assuming storage is slower when it's on a remote storage
>>> server as opposed to a local disk.  While this is typically true over
>>> ethernet, it's not necessarily true over infiniband or fibre channel.
>>
>> Ethernet has *always* been faster than a HDD. Even back when we had 3/180s
>> 10Mbps Ethernet it was faster than the 30ms average access time for the
>> disks of
>> the day. I tested a simple server the other day and round-trip for 4KB of
>> data on a
>> busy 1GbE switch was 0.2ms. Can you show a HDD as fast? Indeed many SSDs
>> have trouble reaching that rate under load.
>
> Hmm, of course the *latency* of Ethernet has always been much less, but I did
> not see it reaching the *throughput* of a single direct attached disk until
> gigabit.

In practice, there are very, very, very few disk workloads that do not involve
a seek.
Just one seek kills your bandwidth. But we do not define "fast" as "bandwidth"
do we?

> I'm pretty sure direct attached disk throughput in the Sun 3 era was much
> better than 10Mbit Ethernet could manage. Iirc, NFS on a Sun 3 running NetBSD
> over 10B2 was only *just* capable of streaming MP3, with tweaking, from my
> own experiments (I ran 10B2 at home until 2004; hey, it was good enough!)

The max memory you could put into a Sun-3/280 was 32MB. There is no possible way
for such a system to handle 100 Mbps Ethernet, you could exhaust all of main
memory
in about 3 seconds :-)

 -- richard

--