On Tue, 18 Oct 2011, Gregory Shaw wrote:

I'm seriously thinking about converting the Linux system in question into a FreeBSD system so that I can use ZFS.

FreeBSD is a wonderfully stable, coherent, and well-documented system which has stood the test of time and has an excellent development team. Zfs 28 is fairly new to FreeBSD but there is every reason to believe that it will be close to "production" grade when FreeBSD 9.0 is released.

The main shortcoming of zfs in FreeBSD is that kernel memory allocation is not yet coherent/shared as it is in Solaris. If you install enough memory, then this becomes a non-issue.

If you are planning to build an NFS server, then it is good to know that Solaris does NFS better than Linux or FreeBSD.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn