If you're building from scratch, please choose nearline/midline SAS disks
instead of SATA if you're looking for capacity. For detailed reasoning,
see: http://serverfault.com/a/331504/13325

For the server, I've had great success with HP ProLiant systems, focusing
on the DL380 G6/G7 models. If you can budget 4U of rackspace, the DL370 G6
is a good option that can accommodate 14LFF or 24 SFF disks (or a
combination). I've built onto DL180 G6 systems as well. If you do the
DL180 G6, you'll need a 12-bay LFF model. I'd recommend a Lights-Out 100
license key to gain remote console. The backplane has a built-in SAS
expander, so you'll only have a single 4-lane SAS cable to the controller.
I typically use LSI controllers. In the DL180, I would spec a LSI 9211-4i
SAS HBA. You have room to mount a ZIL or L2Arc internally and leverage the
motherboard SATA ports. Otherwise, consider a LSI 9211-8i HBA and use the
second 4-land SAS connector for those.

See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ewwhite/sets/72157625918734321/ for an
example of the DL380 G7 build.

--