On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Svavar Örn Eysteinsson <sva...@fiton.is> wrote:

> Would it be save to use "mv"

mv is safe, I just prefer to use cp and rm when done if I have the space.

> There are no ACL's on the files.
> (at least ls -v dosn't show any acl information)
> Using rsync -avPHK --remove-source-files SRC/ DST/
> isn't that just as copying files ? Extra load on the server instead of
> moving the files from
> one place to another ?

    If the data is not being accessed you can just cp or mv, I usually
don't have that luxury and need to start the move while people are
still using the files. I run a first rsync to copy all of them, then I
declare a very short outage window and do a final rsync to catch
anything that got changed. I do NOT use the --remove-source-files

Paul Kraus
-> Senior Systems Architect, Garnet River ( http://www.garnetriver.com/ )
-> Sound Coordinator, Schenectady Light Opera Company (
http://www.sloctheater.org/ )
-> Technical Advisor, Troy Civic Theatre Company
-> Technical Advisor, RPI Players