Shared storage is evil (in this context). Corrupt the storage, and you have no DR.

Now I am confused. We're talking about storage which can be used for failover, aren't we? In which case we are talking about HA not DR.

That goes for all block-based replication products as well. This is not acceptable risk. I keep looking for a non-block-based replication system that allows seamless client failover, and can't find anything but NetApp SnapMirror.

I don't know SnapMirror, so I may be mistaken, but I don't see how you can have non-synchronous replication which can allow for seamless client failover (in the general case). Technically this doesn't have to be block based, but I've not seen anything which wasn't. Synchronous replication pretty much precludes DR (again, I can think of theoretical ways around this, but have never come across anything in practice).

Carson

Julian