Media:
ZFS mounted locally - iPhoto/Aperture, and iTunes both quite happy.

Laptops/Syncing:

I have DropBox running just fine on my desktop. No reason I couldn't run it
on the laptop and use it to sync documents. Wouldn't be as good for serious
volume, but for just work docs, it handles that just fine, and would keep
things in sync. Alernatively, you could setup some rsync scripts (or
CarbonCopyCloner, etc) to duplicate your directories when your laptop is
back home. Nice thing about DropBox is that it'll work from anywhere
without requiring a VPN back home.

--

---