Dan R Allen wrote:

> > The problem with getting the "real" Taliban side of the story, or the
> > Palestinian side for that matter, is the severe limitations those
regimes
> > place on what is released to the world new services.
>
> Marc:
> ???bin Laden regularly makes news release via video to a popular TV
station
> in
> Qatar. Does the US have an Arabicist in Doha? Why not?
>
> Dan:
> And this disproves what I said how?

Marc:
The world press *does* have access to what the Taliban gives it, through a
TV
station in Doha, Qatar. It only takes one counterexample to disprove a
universal
claim such as you made. The problem is that the US doesn't have Arabicists
in its
embassies in the Gulf (except possibly Riyadh) so Qatari TV doesn't get
translated and given to the US press.

Dan:
I was talking about the 'man on the street' perspective - not the party
line.
Stated another way, my point was that all we could really expect out of
Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, and the PA in Israel is the propaganda that the
leadership's _wants_ us to have.
We must have someone in Qatar that understands Arabic, since we did see the
OBL tapes, with transcripts, fairly quickly after they were broadcast, but
again, my point was that getting news from _beyond_ the information
minister just doesn't happen. I wonder why?

Marc:
There are some pretty good reporters working there. But fwiw from the
little
exposure I've had to Fox and the 3 main networks (I don't watch TV much,
not even
Canadian TV), I haven't been impressed. If it can't be compressed into a
10-second sound bite it doesn't make the news. A woman beating her kid in a
car
gets more coverage than important events ongoing as we speak, in Kashmir,
events
which could cause a very serious war between Pakistan and India, countries
with
well over a billion people between them.

Dan:
Agreed.