At 09:04 AM 10/13/2002, you wrote:
>"We do not say that all of the Saints will be spared and saved from the
>coming day of desolation. But we do say there is no promise of safety and
>no promise of security except for those who love the Lord and who are
>seeking to do all that he commands.
>
>  (Bruce R. McConkie, "Stand Independent above All Other Creatures,"
> Ensign, May 1979, 93)"It may be, for instance, that nothing except the
> power of faith and the authority of the priesthood can save individuals
> and congregations from the atomic holocausts that surely shall be."
>---
>
>What do you think?  Is this prophecy going to be fulfilled?  Is not it a
>good reason to avoid sending our troops all over the planet engaging in
>war to bring peace?  I wish our troops would stay home in case we need
>them here.  I guess that makes me an isolationist.  But I don't believe
>the USA could or should be a global police force.  It is too likely to
>stir up hatreds and bring to pass the scenario predicted by Elder McConkie.
>
>What do you think?  Is invading Iraq going to increase or decrease the
>likelihood of a nuclear war?  Is there anyone here who truly believes that
>invading Iraq is going to bring about a stable democracy?  Why should
>America's finest young men and women lay down their lives for nothing?
>
>John W. Redelfs                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Interesting. I was just looking something up the other day and run across
the following reference regarding "pillars of smoke":

But the next passage puzzles me: "I will shew wonders in the heavens and in
the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars of smoke" (Joel 2:30). We have had
bloodshed, of course, ever since Cain murdered Abel. History is a chronicle
of arson, pillage, burning, and corruption. Yet Moroni assured Joseph Smith
that "wonders in the heavens and in the earth, blood, and fire, and pillars
of smoke" would identify his dispensation. I looked up the Hebrew word
which was translated into English as "pillars of smoke." It is timeroth, or
"palm tree-like columns" (spreading at the top). Now, that makes no sense.
Or does it? Perhaps if the reporter at the White Sands proving grounds at
Alamogordo, New Mexico, in 1943, had been from an area where palm trees
were more prevalent than mushrooms, he may have described the appearance of
the huge atomic cloud as being like a palm tree. This is only my
interpretation; but about 400 B.C. a contemporary of Joel's, Zechariah,
also looked into the last days in vision and described a terrible "plague."
"Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their
eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away
in their mouth" (Zechariah 14:12). Radiation? Perhaps. If not, what might
he be referring to? I wonder how Joseph Smith interpreted that passage, or
whether the vision Moroni showed him left no doubt.
  (Paul R. Cheesman and C. Wilfred Griggs, eds., Scriptures for the Modern
World [Provo: BYU Religious Studies Center, 1984], 24 - 25.)

Now I have no idea whether that is what is meant by the Prophet Joel but it
is interesting nevertheless.

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]