Gary Smith wrote:

> Contrary to Marc, who I believe thinks that Zion will be annihilated by
> the latter day Assyria prior to its own fall, I think there will be two
> world powers: Zion and Babylon/Assyria. Zion will be built once
> America/US has been stopped as a nation (which is what I think will be
> the attack from Assyria that Marc anticipates).

No, I don't believe this. I believe Zion has *become* Assyrian, and what will be
annihilated isn't a nation-state and/or a people, but the very idea of
nation-states themselves, by the time of the 2nd Coming. It's my personal
eschatology, I don't claim it's gospel, but it's my reading of the Gospel.

> Also, the idea that our military should stay near our own borders made
> sense 50 years ago. However, in a world where an ICBM can fly across the
> world in 22 minutes, and an ocean is no longer a barrier, we have to
> rethink that attitude. If we are not out on the new borders of the world,
> then we will be allowing ourselves to be open to major attacks. I mean,
> look at how fluid the border with Mexico is.

They are just taking back the land you took from them by force, but they're using
other means and are outsmarting you. It's called La Reconquista. ;-)

> Imagine now just what would
> happen if we weren't around knowing who was installing missile batteries
> and developing new tracking systems in order to extend their attack
> range.
>
> And even if we aren't the ones in the middle of a nuclear attack, say it
> is limited to India, Pakistan and China, just how long do you think it
> would take for the radiation to float over to us and affect us? It isn't
> possible to hide anymore. All we can choose to do is to make difficult
> decisions for the right reasons.  If we hide, like Carter wanted to do,

How do you figure? I think the man's a genuine peacemaker, and deserved his Nobel
Prize. Unlike at least 2 of his fellow nominees.

> we actually endanger the world more. During Carter's reign of error, he
> came close to having several democracies toppled. He was for human
> rights, but against our involvement in other nations. Communism had a
> heyday during his administration. Compare that with Reagan's time, when

Reagan didn't topple communism, it fell of its own accord. The most surprised
person in Reykjavik the day that Mikhail Gorbachev proposed that the Soviet Union
would start disarming first was Ronald Reagan.

> he stood tough, and it has helped to spread democracy around the world.
> More people are free today, thanks to Reagan, than due to Carter and
> Clinton combined.

I won't speak for Clinton, but I think people have a very strange, backwards view
of the world during the Carter and Reagan era. Have people already forgotten
things like Iran-Contra and ? Carter managed to right an error in history when he
gave the canal zone back to its rightful owners, and he just gets accused by the
right wing of being a traitor. Well, you can't be a traitor with respect to
something that was never rightfully your's.

> K'aya K'ama,

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,