How about letting one of America's finest answer that question? I would
gladly lay down my life to stop terrorism. It is a key signature of
Gadianton Robbers. When the Nephites placated them, they grew in
strength. Over the past decades, we have basically placated the Islamic
fundamentalists, allowing them to hijack planes, kill Jews at the Munich
Olympics, blow up embassies and ships, etc. Are we so addicted to worldly
peace that we fear to upset the "world balance?"
It is better to die defending liberty, freedom, and national security,
than to allow Gadiantons to spread further in the world. Look at how
dangerous things have gotten over thirty years, because we've done little
to stop them. Imagine what it will be like a decade or two further down
the road, after they have better weapons, including atomic bombs. I don't
want to wait "peacefully" while they virtually rape our society.  I hate
war, but living awkwardly with Gadiantons is not the thing to do.
Since they won't let us preach to them right now, our only recourse is to
fight their actions and intentions.

How does that make us different from them? We are targeting militaries,
not civilians. Second, we would not attack them if they would back off
and renounce terrorism. But the major attack in Australia shows that they
are still enemies of the West and freedom. The West ignores them at their
own peril.

As an American Airman, I am thankful to know that my fellow soldiers,
sailors and airmen are not afraid to die. And they know it won't be "for
nothing." This is not Vietnam, where we are fighting someone else's
battle. Does anyone complain that we are in the Phillipines fighting
terrorists there? No. Why not? It isn't our fight, is it? If we choose to
help our fellow democracies to survive by helping them target and destroy
terrorists, are we doing evil? I think not. We are trying to stop the
money from flowing to terrorists, and Saddam has deep pockets.

I can't help but remember what Edmund Burke said (paraphrased): All it
requires for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.

We can pretend that there is no "right" and "wrong" saying that the US is
also doing bad things, but the same claims could be made of Capt Moroni,
who drove Lamanites out of the wilderness and built cities to defend the
areas previously owned by Lamanites. The Nephites who went into the
mountains to attack the Gadiantons did not sin in doing that, they just
weren't fully successful. However, their efforts may have slowed down the
Gadiantons for a few years. Perhaps our actions will do the same,
bringing democracies apeace for a few years more.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JWR:> Why should America's finest young men and women lay down their
lives for
nothing?

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.