Sorry, you're right. The incident happened in Colombia (not Columbia), but
Betancourt was from Venezuela.

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 12:25 AM 10/21/2002, Marc wrote:
>   One of the
> >alleged witnesses to hearing Castro claim he was a Communist was supposed
> >to be
> >Rómulo Betancourt of Colombia, but when Betancourt found out the US press was
> >claiming this, he hotly denied it.
>
> First, Betancourt was from Venezuela, not Columbia. Second, why should we
> believe Betancourt?

Why should we believe JBS material? Why do you always neglect to point out that
Cuba *did* elect democrat governments, but they were always co-opted by US
industrial interests with the backing of the military (Cuba, Nicaragua and Panama
are the countries where the term "gunboat diplomacy" was invented, and this
doesn't reflect well on the US's early venture into true imperialism --
fortunately J. Reuben Clark, Jr., an elder in Zion, helped nip this in the bud,
and the modern-day quasi-imperium is far more benign than it would have been had
Teddy Roosevelt had his way completely). I've never seen that in any JBS
literature. It's as if Cuba's history starts with the Cuban Revolution when Castro
came down out of the hills around Santiago and Santa Cruz.

That Castro was anti-US, even viscerally hateful of the US, is well-known and not
in dispute. He saw revolution as the only way to break the endless pattern of
Cubans electing democratic governments only to have them subverted into puppet
regimes of US agricultural interests and organized crime figures. But painting him
in ideological colours oversimplifies Cuban history and dismisses the sins of the
U.S. in the matter, right back to the blowing up of the Maine in Havana Harbour.
You want a conspiracy theory? Look into the role of William Randolph Hearst, the
media baron (and the inventor, according to some, of "yellow journalism").

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a
coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”