Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 12:25 AM 10/21/2002, you wrote:
> >No, Clifford -- ask Steven to reveal his sources.
>
> Don't know about your sources, but I take mine from Prophets of God:

Oh, I forgot, Clifford. That's another tactic of the far right in the Church: to
try to shut you up by pretending that they are speaking doctrine. This makes any
criticism you may have of a purely political matter ipso facto a religious issue.
It's a shameful tactic, imo.

> Just a short time ago Fidel Castro broadcast to the world his boastful
> confession that he had been a hard-core communist all of his adult life. He
> gloried in the fact that he had been able to confuse and deceive many
> people simply by saying he was not a communist. And because there were
> gullible people in this and other countries who believed his false
> assertions, he was able to establish a Soviet beachhead—"A communist
> satellite under active Russian control."
>   (10233elder Ezra Taft Benson, Conference Report, October 1962, First
> Day—Morning Meeting 15.)

Again, even if this is true, what's the point? Cuba could have developed along
stable, democratic lines, but the US prevented it. Castro is a US product, and he
revels in his role as a foil to Washington. You just feed him with this kind of
rhetoric.

--
Marc A. Schindler

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the
worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly
debated…To think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was
a coward; any idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly
character; ability to understand a question from all sides meant that one was
totally unfitted for action.” – Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by
Thucydides in “The Peloponessian Wars”