Clifford M Dubery wrote:

> Stephen, for some reason I didn't get your post so I am replying to Marc's and yours.
>
> I take my civic responsibilities seriously and decided some years ago, to join a
>political party.  My judgement was, the better party as far as my own beliefs and
>interests go was the ALP. I felt corruption (read, influence of the Gaddianton, or
>Rupert Murdoch, or both) was too much in the Liberal Party, that the Liberal Party
>had become the Tory Party by another name, and the common wealth would be ignored by
>such an organization.  Joining the Democrats or the Greens would have been a waste of
>time, in my opinion.  Incidentally, the Greens just this past week have won a seat in
>the federal parliaments House of Representatives for the first time ever.  It was a
>by-election (something you USAmericans don't have, with your fixed terms) and the
>normally strong Labor seat in Wollongong went to the Greens on preferences. (a
>different way of counting votes).  Labor is shell shocked, the Liberals couldn't have
>a bigger grin (they didn't run a candidate).  Politics is never dull.

Australia has, in my opinion, the fairest method of proportional representation on the
planet -- this is what Clifford is referring to when he talks about preferences. It
means you can rank your votes first choice, second choice, and so on.  We sorely need
that kind of reform here in Canada.

> I don't always win my battles within the party, but at least I get a chance, and no
>one is lining my pocket or appealing to my base instincts of greed.
>
> There you go, I think my TR is in tact and my salvation.....
>
> How many members do nothing, when it comes to civic duties and responsibilities, in
>spite of encouragement from our prophet's and apostles, and what the scriptures tell
>us?
>
> Clifford M Dubery

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and deeds; the worst
thing is to rush into action before the consequences have been properly debated…To
think of the future and wait was merely another way of saying one was a coward; any
idea of moderation was just an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly character; ability to
understand a question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action.”
– Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by Thucydides in “The Peloponessian
Wars”

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the author solely;
its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the author’s employer, nor those of
any organization with which the author may be associated.