Foreign policy is like a boomerang -- it always comes back. And when you're a
superpower, it's like a big boomerang in a tornado. It comes back, but brings the
kitchen sink and a few cows with it.

Jon Spencer wrote:

> So John, are you now saying that we SHOULD be engaged in foreign conflicts?
> :-)
>
> By the way, if you are, in this case I fully agree with you.  We would not
> have the problem we have today had we done so.  of course, we might have had
> WORSE problems.
>
> Jon
>
> John W. Redelfs wrote:
>
> > After much pondering, Marc A. Schindler favored us with:
> > >Except that the war wasn't being waged under the US Constitution, and as
> > >Gary has
> > >pointed out, if the UN had pushed too hard or threatened to use nuclear
> > >weapons,
> > >all of Red China would have been down our throats.
> >
> > Who cares?  At the time, Red China didn't have any power.  They couldn't
> > have fought us without losing gazillions of people.  They were fighting
> > with clubs and pitchforks.  We would have toppled Mao's regime, and the
> > genocide of the Cultural Revolution would never have taken place.  By some
> > estimates, Mao was responsible for the deaths of up to 75 million of his
> > own people as he systematically went about consolidating his power
> > according to Marxist doctrine.
> >
> > As for the war not being waged under the Constitution, whose fault was
> > that?  Truman's?  And I thought you said that the USA runs the UN?  I also
> > thought you said that the UN can't do anything without US consent.  If our
> > membership in the UN mandates that we behave dishonorably and send our
> > fighting men to their deaths while allowing the enemy sanctuary beyond the
> > Yalu, the those Americans who got us into the UN ought to be hanged right
> > along with Truman.
> >
> > Some things are unforgivable.  And the orders given MacArthur were
> > treasonable.  He was ordered to stand down while the enemy was still
> > attacking him and killing his men.  No wonder he took his appeal to the
> > American people.  He foolishly imagined that they would be too honorable
> > let such a travesty occur.

> hindsight, or
> states
> in
> war,

> for

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill