Val wrote:
---
So it depends on which prophetic counsel you are referencing.
---

In my view, prophetic counsel is consistent in letter and spirit from
one day to the next, through all ages of time.

If I see conflicts in the pronouncements from one prophet to another, I
must assume that there is a fault in my interpretation.  I will not
entertain the suggestion that counsel from President Benson is somehow
"trumped" by statements from President Hinckley.

One aspect of this issue is the manner of delivery of certain messages
that differs significantly from one man to another.  President Benson
was blunt and aggressive in his directives.  President Hinckley is often
soft-spoken and indirect.  He tends to be more sensitive about public
perception.  Notwithstanding, I saw no quotes indicating that President
Hinckley has at any time rescinded the "archaic" counsel that mothers
should not work.

I have long pondered the postscript trailing the Proclamation on the
Family.  My suspicion is that many people will skip over the body of the
message to this last bit of the message and focus all their attention on
it.  "See, my circumstances are special, so I will just write my own
Proclamation!"

I am not offering the least criticism to women who work out of
necessity.  Of course families without fathers have different
circumstances and needs.  The gospel is not a cruel taskmaster that
burdens widows with unreasonable demands, is it?