On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 10:32:12AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
| Sidnei da Silva wrote:
| >Oh, if I'm allowed to speak *wink*, it would be great if in this
| >refactoring 'zrpc' could be made to work with less dependencies.
| >
| >I'm using 'zrpc' on a project and it was a pain to implement a
| >minimally working application because it depended on a few convoluted
| >steps to setup, some of which could be trivially removed.
| >
| >One way or another, I think Jim's refactoring would simplify this,
| >even if it's not a explicitly stated goal.
|
| I'm a bit curious why you are using zrpc rather than one of the many
| Python RPC mechanisms.  I never intended having something that was used
| outside of ZEO and I'm not interested in satisfying non-ZEO use cases.
| That's not to say I want to prevent you from using it, I'm just curious
| why you are.  ZEO uses it because it is so small, although maybe it's
| not so small that ZEO shouldn't use something else.
|
| If something isn't an explicitly stated goal, it's not likely
| to happen. :)

I just wanted a simple, transport-efficient, 'binary' (as opposed to
text), transparent RPC mechanism. Since zrpc uses pickle for
transport, that did fit the job at the time.

Not to say that I didn't want to use twisted or some other RPC
mechanism, only that zrpc turned out to be the one I was more familiar
with, and the one that was quickiest for me to put into production.

--
Sidnei da Silva
Fax +1 832 201 8856     Office +1 713 942 2377 Ext 214